What's Goin' On? Check out below

8.26.2008

Tofu!?!?

Ah. The word tofu alone made my skin crawl. Then slowly, people around me and in my circle of friends began to sample this fare. This slimy soybean brick housed in a water-filled plastic container does not rely on its looks for attention. The idea of chewing on it makes me think of eating a sponge...gross texture and slimy. I have to assume it keeps its popularity votes due to its protein-packed state. It's a healthy option for those who do not enjoy meat. I enjoy meat. And am not always about trying new foods. Yet, I did.

THIS IS WHAT TOFU LOOKS LIKE...mmm, delicious cubes of chalk. I think I saw something like this in a bucket at the Olympics. Wasn't it next to the uneven bars? Seriously...does this actually look appetizing to anyone?
So, my tofu-eating friend, Tara, had been trying to convince me that it simply takes on the taste of whatever you cook it with. I didn't want to be swayed from my state of ignorance. In order to break down my "squeamish to try new things" wall a notch, Tara decided that she would make a stir fry with the tofu for me to try. She loves this dish, so if I was not a fan...no problem! It would simply leave more for her and her husband. I gave in. So, last night was the big TOFU TASTING. After a good, long walk...we fired up the stovetop. I was in charge of the rice...while Tara created the stir fry. At first, the tofu looked exactly like the picture above which almost had me in cold sweats. But as she sauteed it, it began to looks more like chicken which settled my fears.

Hmm...that doesn't look too scary...
All finished and mixed together with the rice and veggies
The cook savors her meal!

Here I go.........
When all was said and done, it was fine. I had nothing to be afraid of! The dinner was delicious!! And it was followed up with a little heaven on Earth:

PS-- I even had some leftovers for dinner tonight! Good for the budget and packed with protein!

(First photo courtesy http://foodcourt.files.wordpress.com; second: winnielizzie.blogspot.com)

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, the texture of tofu leaves a bit to be desired!
    It's so good for you though. We'll often blend it up with smoothies; can't even tell it's in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious!! Will have to try that sometime here with the leftover tofu we have from lil guy -- who is a huge pureed tofu fan BTW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart tofu. I need to buy and make this more often. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't believe I wasn't completely repulsed as I ate it! And I've had leftovers that were full of tofu the last few days.

    I will admit...I ate those a little quicker because there was A LOT of tofu left in the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete