What's Goin' On? Check out below

8.11.2008

The Show Me State

A Few Stats
15 hours in the car roundtrip
1003 miles traveled
16 CDs played
31 states represented on passing license plates
13 curbside critters "sleeping"
42 hours to catch up with one another
3 years to catch up on
1 Confederate flag on a motorcycle with a fur seat cover
2 adorable baby boys
9 construction zones
33.5 pounds of baby boys (D=20 lbs; E=13.5 lbs)
1 very dear friend from college!

I arrived in Columbia, MO around 4:30 on Sunday afternoon. This was after a late start and the purchase of some Similasan. As I drove, I decided to take note of the many states represented on our trusty interstate system. This was one way to keep me attentive and awake!

*SUNDAY*
Upon arrival, the boys were sleeping, so Kerri and I indulged in a little girl talk. David was gone for the evening, taking in a Kansas concert. This gave us a lot of time to start our catch up! After about half an hour, the little guys were up and ready to play! So adorable. This is the second time I have met the boys since they were born in January. I was excited to be able to hang out with them and see how life with twins is treating Kerri and David!

First thing on the docket: pool time! Since the weather was so hot (mid-90s) and the humidity hits you the minute you venture out, we waited until early evening to head out swimming. The boys each had their own floaty ring which allowed them to motor around the kiddie pool like pros. I was really impressed with how determined they were to move themselves! They love the water, especially when Mom gets in there to play with them. We finished up at the pool, picked up a piping hot pizza and trekked home. We fed the boys dinner and then played with them for awhile.

Ellis (top) and Davis (bottom) play in the kiddie pool

Kerri and I had a late night discussing life ~ past, present and future! As we discussed, we indulged in a little ice cream. I had "Fried Ice Cream" ice cream for the very first time and was hooked. Think of this in a carton. DELISH! We were up until about 12:30 chatting. After we both decided to hit the hay, poor Kerri was up almost every hour with the boys! *Apparently, I am not as light a sleeper as I thought since my room is right next to the nursery and I heard nothing! I felt bad for not helping out since David was gone and I was the one who kept her up with our gabfest.

*MONDAY*
We woke up and had a very casual day. We played with the boys and continued our catchup session. You never realize how much you have to catch up on with good friends until you see them and actually have time!! Throughout the day, we toyed with the idea of heading out for a walk. However, it was ridiculously hot and humid. By 7:30 a.m. it was already 85 degrees! So, we decided to hang around the house which was fine by me. Kerri had a short work meeting so I got to try my hand at watching the twins. We had a lot of fun and it wasn't as difficult as I had anticipated. Mind you, this was for just over an hour...

That evening, David, Kerri, me and Kerri's nephew James indulged in a delicious dinner. We had grilled chicken (nice work, David!); fresh corn on the cob; caprese salad; carrots and peapods; and warm biscuits. It was definitely a summer night meal. It hit the spot with room for a little ice cream topper. This time I opted for vanilla with caramel. Once we were done, the boys were ready to eat. Here is a little video of this adventure. Watch as Ellis plays Little Bird. He will open his mouth and just let it sit wide open like a baby bird waiting for Momma to drop the worm. It's so adorable and endearing.



After the boys were successfully fed and ready for bed, the adults did a bunch of talking while watching The Two Coreys. This was my first experience with this show. It was interesting but not one of the reality shows I might indulge in on a regular basis. To each their own, I suppose! It was another late night as James and I capped the night with good discussion.

*TUESDAY*
Time flies too quickly! I hung out with the boys and Kerri for awhile and then after a satisfying lunch, we said goodbyes. David had been out and about but was home before I left. So, I got to say goodbye to the whole family! I was very sad to get into the car and head home. It was a great trip visiting Kerri and her boys! Thank you for being such fantastic hosts!!!

Here are a few pics

Davis and I became fast friends. He's such a little flirt!

Ellis and I were tight by the end of the trip. Such a sweetie!

Kerri and her boys playing!

The trip was long overdue and a great getaway. If only it had been a little longer! I have to say I am so utterly impressed with how well Kerri and David have adjusted to parenthood for TWO babies! It is so neat to see Kerri in her new role as mom. It fits her like a tailor-made dress. It was lovely to visit and catch up with her. I miss you tons, Ker!!!♥

To see more pics, here is my album:

The Show Me State Trip

3 comments:

  1. Great blog girl! Looks like a blast. I love the first picture with the maps and sunglasses. Roadtrips rock. (Like maybe one to Charlotte?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! It sounds like you two had a great time. I can't believe she has TWINS! You were relatively close to my home (yay Kansas), and I know that drive well. CDs are the only way to make it through Iowa and Illinois awake.

    I'm so glad you two had a chance to spend some quality time together, even though it was only two days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a fantastic trip! The boys are adorable and Kerri is an amazing mom!

    ReplyDelete