What's Goin' On? Check out below

8.25.2008

To See or Not to See...


Although my prescription has again changed, it's a very slight difference. So, I can now be considered for LASIK surgery. I have to admit that I am still hesitant at both the cost and risk of this procedure. I understand that it's been a common procedure for the better part of a decade, so spare me the explanations of how it's been perfected.

I have a fear that I'd be in that 1.46% that experiences blindness, blurry vision, hallucinations and scurvy as side effects. Is it worth the risk??? I would love to save money on contacts and all the supplies they require. Mind you, I say this after receiving the bill for my year supply of contacts recently purchased due to the slight vision change. Believe me, I will stretch that year as long as possible!

In addition to the money factor, it would be nice to be able to read the clock with a simple glance when I wake up in the middle of the night instead of deepening my crow's feet with a maxi squint. Or...to swim without worrying that my contacts will somehow pop out of my eyes, out of my goggles and start swimming their own laps to the bottom of the pool. OR...to not have to worry about one of my contacts getting dry and popping out of my eye as I drive 75 mph with nowhere to really stop. Thankfully, I am prepared with all sorts of drops/solutions for just that type of situation! ANNOYING.

Well, I suppose I just need to research it a little more, check out the budget and so on. I can assure you that I won't be doing anything until my new supply of contacts are used up!

(Photo: http://www.vcu.edu)

3 comments:

  1. DO IT! I want to too. Maybe they'll give us a two-fer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would try to avoid the "scurvy" - isn't that was they had during the plague?

    What about the vinegar??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, seriously, the BEST decision I have ever made in my entire life. I had it done in 2003 or 4... can't remember, but I can honestly say that even if my eyeballs melt out of my head tomorrow, it was worth every moment of unassisted clear vision.

    My only advice: do NOT go cheap, and go to a well respected/practiced eye surgeon. You'll thank the lord you did.

    ReplyDelete