What's Goin' On? Check out below

8.05.2008

Starry Nights & Homemade Ice Cream

On Friday night, a bunch of us meandered over to check out a free concert series in Brookfield. In summer, the Sharon Lynne Wilson center presents Starry Nights. It's live entertainment with a nice casual feel to it. Some people brought blankets and sat on the ground; while others set up foldable loveseats or actual card tables. The lowly people that I associate myself brought along a picnic basket that we rifled through while sitting on our comfy blanket. We watched as the high-classers sipped from their crystal wine glasses [I kid you not] and wrapped themselves in Burberry.

During the intermission, we decided to sample the desserts from the Loaf & Jug stand. I had a cherry crisp ala mode that was fantastic. The particular artist was alright, not necessarily a first pick of mine, but still entertaining. All in all, it was a pleasant evening. The weather cooperated, the company was most enjoyable (of course!) and it was FREE! So, we may venture out again! This week it's a blend of
“vintage R&B, soul, New Orleansiana, Cubano Bop, slithery Afro-Caribbean rhythms, and tantalizing esoterica from around the globe." It sounds like a winner to me!

Here are a few pics of our adventure:



The sky threatened with rain but held off for a beautiful night!

Jan & Dave surveying the scene. They were part of the upper-class who mingled with the ground-dwellers!

Lil Max protecting his eyes from the evening sun.

Practicing his standing skills with Big Max during the music.

♥Lisa and Raul♥

Here's a little video of how we kept ourselves entertained...we even have a soundtrack:


Now, on to Saturday. I had a busy day cleaning up, doing laundry, paying bills and regular old "adult" things. However, I babysat the little kiddies on Saturday night. So, I decided since it was a hot day that we could try making our own homemade ice cream! It was a very easy recipe that I stole from the internet. If interested in this mini-Science project, click here. The kids had fun although we learned two things the hard way:

1. Wrap the bag in a towel or wear gloves as it gets VERY cold.
2. Make sure to rinse the little bag VERY well before opening and serving. The first batch was a bit salty...thus a lesson learned!

Ellison tries a new way to shake the bag!

It's dripping!!

Almost done!

I wish I would've gotten some pictures of the ice cream in bowls but the kids were ready to devour their creation! It was an easy recipe and deliciously refreshing for a hot summer night!

2 comments:

  1. Remarkable. I get the sense of a frontier journal from the 1880s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, just call me Laura Ingalls Wilder. It's very appropriate since I am a Wisconsinite...

    ReplyDelete