What's Goin' On? Check out below

7.27.2008

BIG NEWS!!

Details, details, details...

Details often seem to be the most important aspect in any moment. Although the big picture is beautiful, it's the precise placement of each detail that makes it that much sweeter. For some reason, Georges-Pierre Seurat keeps popping into my head as I type this. The finality of each little dot, whether intentionally placed or not, lends to the overall image.

I digress...

This weekend, I zoomed out from the little dots of my life and saw a stunning and exciting big picture. The final details of two big projects falling into place added the gloss to an already great picture!

1. I got a job!!!

It was quite a whirlwind! I heard about the position for a long term sub on Tuesday night, dropped my materials off on Wednesday morning, received a call that evening to set up an interview for Thursday. I arrived to the school earlier than the office staff and principal, full of nervous energy. The interview went swimmingly and I was hired!!!

Now, some may say that this job is not a dream job. I disagree! I am so excited for this opportunity to teach in such a reputable school district. I have worked with this school community through fieldwork and after-school programs giving me a sense of what to expect. I will be teaching 5th grade until mid-November and if all goes well, then it will be on to 1st grade until January!

Let's just say the nerves are kicking in! It's actually my turn to be the classroom teacher ALL BY MYSELF! I can't wait!

So, for the other detail that was finalized...

2. I am co-editing a book!

This has been a sure thing and in the works for a few months but it finally felt official this weekend! My mom and I are co-editing a book
slated to be published by Catalyst Book Press in Spring 2010. So, this weekend we had to submit our bios and get photos taken for any promotional literature that might go out. Courtesy of our family friend Chase, here is one of my favorites:


A little explanation...

About a year ago, I was looking up information on adoption. Earlier in the year, I had searched for my birthmother, only to be told that she did not want contact. This is a decision I completely respect. However, it made me start pondering: What was it like for her emotionally to place me for adoption? Did she resent the attempt at contact now? What if she changed her mind and wanted contact? What would we say to one another? Do we hug one another? So many questions...

So, I researched and researched. I noticed an overwhelming amount of literature for adoptive parents or adopted children. However, there was little to no support for birthmothers. I found this surprising and unfair to some extent; since they are the ones that experience both a physical and emotional loss in the process.

As I discussed this with my mom, an adopted daughter to an adoptive mother, I suggested that we find a way to give a voice to the countless women who have gone through this kind of experience. However, I let the idea fall by the wayside thinking that I had little to no experience in the literary world ~ unless you count the play I was asked to write for MU back in the day! Anyhow, my mother being who she is, contacted one of her editors whom she felt would be on board with this book idea. And here we are....

I am extremely proud to work with my mom on this special project! She is an amazing editor and writer (see previous post) with so much to teach me. It is already an exciting process. I'll keep you posted as things progress!

Until then, thanks for reading and sharing my excitement!

14 comments:

  1. Both of you are stunning in that photograph...and you are even more stunning in real life!!

    Congrats on everything. You are going to make a remarkable impression on this world, and I am proud to call you my friend and sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you do have big news!
    Congrats again on the job front. You'll do a fantastic job and they'll keep you on for a least a couple more months!
    The book is a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats all around! such great news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so proud of you. The picture is beautiful! You will be a remarkable teacher. And the subject of the book is so poignant--congratulations! I want a signed copy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your news sounds wonderful, Amanda! Good to hear all the details. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Double congratulations to you!! :) Finding a job must take a giant weight off your shoulders. I can't wait to hear all the details in a few weekends! Are you working in the same district as Jenny S.?

    Wow! A book, that's fantastic. What an excellent experience and addition to your resume!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda!!! I don't think the title of our book is going to be labor pains and birth stories. I think that's the book that I have an essay in.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. can you provide any information on adopting goth sock puppets?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! What great news! The job sounds great and I can't wait until the book comes out. You are living out my dream of writing a book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Crap!! Congrats!!! I'm sure you get this all of the time, but you are a pretty damn talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful news Amanda! That's so very exciting for your mom and you!!! Wow, what a fun venture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awesome! I somehow missed this post earlier. I am so jealous... I would LOVE to be a published author. Congrats girl.

    ReplyDelete