This morning, as I sat at my desk, cutting out full-circle protractor transparencies for Math class (please remember this is not officially my desk...):
one of my students walked into my room.
"Hi Miss Angel! I'm here early!"
It was only 7:45 -- kids don't report until 8:40...hmmm.
Then I remembered his parents were out of the country and one of his past teachers was babysitting him. So, he was forced to come to school early. As I looked up to start a chat with him, I noticed he was holding a Caribou cup. Being who I am, I casually asked if he had recently taken to drinking coffee to get him going in the morning.
He laughed and shook his head.
"Oh, Miss Angel...
it's for you. It's a mocha something. It has chocolate. You like chocolate, right?"
"Hi Miss Angel! I'm here early!"
It was only 7:45 -- kids don't report until 8:40...hmmm.
Then I remembered his parents were out of the country and one of his past teachers was babysitting him. So, he was forced to come to school early. As I looked up to start a chat with him, I noticed he was holding a Caribou cup. Being who I am, I casually asked if he had recently taken to drinking coffee to get him going in the morning.
He laughed and shook his head.
"Oh, Miss Angel...
it's for you. It's a mocha something. It has chocolate. You like chocolate, right?"
Seriously? How sweet is that?
Especially since this is one of the kiddos that can make a day somewhat stressful as he loves to test boundaries. He's uber smart, KNOWS it and makes sure YOU know it too.
It was so nice to see him extend himself (something we work on daily) and think of others ~ in this case his substitute teacher ~ me!
He also made sure to tell me that his brother sort of bumped him so the top of it was a bit messy looking.
Especially since this is one of the kiddos that can make a day somewhat stressful as he loves to test boundaries. He's uber smart, KNOWS it and makes sure YOU know it too.
It was so nice to see him extend himself (something we work on daily) and think of others ~ in this case his substitute teacher ~ me!
He also made sure to tell me that his brother sort of bumped him so the top of it was a bit messy looking.
I didn't have the heart to tell him that I don't drink coffee. I simply took a sip {pulling out the old acting skills!} and gave him a big "Thank you, bud! That was so generous of you!"
With a big smile, he said, "Yeah, you're welcome."
He turned and walked out of the room to wait until the start of the day.
It's definitely the little things that warm your heart!
{Don't tell, but I poured the rest down the sink once I had warmed my ice-paddle hands on the hot cup of mocha!}
With a big smile, he said, "Yeah, you're welcome."
He turned and walked out of the room to wait until the start of the day.
It's definitely the little things that warm your heart!
{Don't tell, but I poured the rest down the sink once I had warmed my ice-paddle hands on the hot cup of mocha!}
Thank goodness it wasn't a ho ho mint mocha you dumped. Because that would be true coffee abuse, and I would have to report you to the proper authorities.
ReplyDeleteWhat a heart warming tale...and a great way to start off your day.
ReplyDeleteIt truly is the little things in life that make it all worth it.
That is so sweet. Those types of kiddos make it all worth it!
ReplyDeleteThat is really cute. I am, however, disappointed in your un-love for coffee.
ReplyDelete