"FILM SYNOPSIS: An Irish singer-songwriter performing on the streets of Dublin befriends a young Czech immigrant who is selling flowers to support her mother and child. The pair begin a musical collaboration with the hope of producing a marketable demo, working together easily as they skirt the more difficult issue of the unexpressed attraction that is growing between them." (source)
I am not ashamed to say that I am a fan of musicals. However, this movie does not fall into the "musical theatre musical" category. That category is reserved for movies where people randomly burst out into song, solve their problems through dance-offs and all ends happily.
This movie is a delicate narrative woven together with unforgettable, soulful music. The two main actors have an incredible chemistry both physically and musically. The harmonies are decadent, the passion is real and this movie is one that - despite the title - you will want to watch more than once.
GRADE: A+
This video compiles various scenes from the movie and sets it to one of the songs. The two singing in this clip are the main characters who are in fact real musicians. It was a sweet victory for this amazing duo when they won the Oscar for Best Song this year. Side note: Once was filmed in Dublin and there were areas in the movie that I had just visited last January! Always exciting.

It was only until recently (within the last week) that I heard of this movie. I've just been bombarded by references to the movie...It sounds like something I'd like and just today, I heard one of the soundtrack songs on the radio!
ReplyDeleteI need to borrow this movie from you.
ReplyDeleteMy sister highly recommended this movie and then my mom had the soundtrack. I think I have it sitting in a netflix envelope. Now, all I have to do is hook up a dvd player.
ReplyDelete