What's Goin' On? Check out below

4.08.2008

Just Desserts

Well, it's that time of year. The weather is getting warmer, the sun is shining longer and the swimming suits are out for sale! Yikes. A few weeks ago, my good friend Ann invited me to join her in a month long dessert fast. This is not something new, as we've done it before, so I agreed.

The rules are as follows:
1. NO DESSERTS from April 7th until April 30th. However, knowing my inability to last that long without a single dessert (especially in a month of various celebrations), we decided to allow one cheat day a week. The cheat day is not an excuse to binge on a gallon of slow churned ice cream, but a way to keep us on the right track...an incentive, if you will.

2. We are each responsible for owning up if we jump off the wagon. Better to own up than ruin the entire "project" and give up. As hard as it is the first few days, in the past when I've taken part in this fast, I was amazed at how much healthier I felt. I also noticed my eating habits were definitely aligning with the healthier choices!

However, it's only the second day and I am already questioning my abilities to stave off the cravings. Today- I kid you not- I think I heard a Kit Kat beckoning me to stand in the faint glow of the vending machine. It said, "Amanda, don't you want a delicious little snack? Nobody will know....just drop the silver coins in and all your worries will melt away." I stood there entranced as the little nugget of chocolate goodness coaxed me in it's serpentine way.

Although I will admit to pressing two quarters in the palm of my hand while the devil and angel, perched upon my collarbone, fought it out. The angel (how appropriate) won! I simply tucked the money back into my wallet and refilled my water bottle. Ann T, you should be proud! It was a hard decision!

The whole goal is to break me of my slight sugar addiction. So far, so good...only 22 more days left! I am going to try my best to shift my eating and exercise habits back into check. I'll keep you posted! By the way, walking into the house and smelling Chocolate Chip & Walnut cookies is not helpful! But they did smell good!

What would you admit to being your guiltiest food pleasure?

5 comments:

  1. I love fast food. It's terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does food in general count? We joke that I really have a hidden 400 pounder hiding inside me. Pretty much any dessert will do the trick. Yum. I think I'd like a doughnut now. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got off the wagon the second day (or was it the first) I said I'd do this with you. I am such a wuss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how could you post that picture of chocolate cake? it's making my mouth water. i crave salty foods more, but ever since my pregnancy, i need dessert after a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stef--you are not a wuss...you simply understand the inanity of this fast. I mean, really...who gives up desserts willingly? Apparently I am a fan of testing my limits.

    As for the picture of the cake...mouthwatering. I was trying to find a picture of Uno's Peanut Butter cup dessert. Now that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete