Another school year has closed. No matter how hard of a year I have or students that challenge my patience, I always cry. Although my students were great kids individually, together their dynamic was trying. So, I was eagerly awaiting the end of the year...just needing a mental break from the warp speed days.
However, the last day came. We gathered in the classroom, shared memories, read The Giving Tree, and I cried...hard. Then, my students asked me to have 10 minutes of my time during their recess. So, they led me outside to the playground, with my eyes closed ~ I'm very trusting ~ and they positioned me. One of the girls asked me to blow my whistle, while keeping my eyes closed, so that the entire class is gathered. I opened my eyes and saw two rows of my students creating an aisle. Then about 5 of my girls walked up the aisle and awarded me ribbons for "friendliest", "most helpful", "best lumberjack", and more awards. It really touched my heart because I really didn't feel like any of these things this year. It made me feel like maybe I had reached some of them.
Then I was presented with a binder that all of my students had created together. Each of them wrote me a little message about why they thought I was a good teacher for them. Overall, they sounded really sincere. Best gift ever!
I am going to miss them!
Oh, Manda! This is so incredibly sweet! How absolutely rewarding to have these little things given to you -- in addition to knowing that you really made a difference in their lives! And you DO! I've seen your past students come up to you -- you are such a remarkable person and teacher that you make a positive mark on everyone who crosses your path -- mine included! LOVE YOU!
ReplyDelete