What's Goin' On? Check out below

11.30.2008

Secret Life of Bees



This weekend, my mom, sister, dad (he's a brave soul) and I went to see The Secret Life of Bees. This movie is based on the book by Sue Monk Kidd. Set in 1964, this story is one of tolerance, forgiveness, love, and having faith in humankind. I will warn you now...if you see this movie, make sure that you have tissues along otherwise you will end up using a napkin smeared with popcorn butter to wipe your eyes - not that I know from personal experience or anything. ::cough, cough::


The cast was amazing! Queen Latifah, Dakota Fanning, Alicia Keyes, Jennifer Hudson, Sophie Okonedo are stellar in their roles. The actors in smaller roles also stole the scene at times. It was a remarkable cast. It was SO believable and within the first 10 minutes, I already felt invested in these people. The story is also powerful in that it represents a time in our history that wasn't too long ago. It is a narrative of the experience of women, primarily African-American women, in a time when Americans felt as though a wave of progress had just passed. We had so far to go and still do!

The other theme that peals as clear as a bell on a blue sky day is that of family. The three women who become mother figures teach Lily (Fanning) what it means to be loved. They take her in as their own and become mothers in a way. It's really heartwarming and tearjerking at some points.

I don't know how many theaters are still showing this movie but if you have the chance to catch it on the big screen, I highly recommend it!


1 comment:

  1. I saw this as a preview earlier this fall and LOVED IT! Good choice for mom's birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete