What's Goin' On? Check out below

11.02.2008

I Rocked the Vote! or at least the Voting Process...

On Thursday, I was fortunate to have the day off of school which basically turned into a day of errands and a night with friends. One of my errands was fulfilling my civic duty as a U.S. Citizen - voting! I figured that I was not going to change my choice of candidate this late in the game, so may as well make use of my day.

As I walked into the City Clerk's office, I was surprised that there weren't more people around. A few older residents and a mom with a screaming baby were scattered around the room. The mom was zipping quickly through her ballot, so as to rush her sad baby out! I stepped up to the table, received my ballot and envelope and stepped aside to a quiet area. I seemingly made new friends with the screaming baby who seemed intrigued by my waving at her.

Once my ballot was cast, I sealed the envelope with a lick and a promise. I capped my pen and looked up ~ suddenly there was a line out of the door!! It happened so quickly! I handed in my envelope and turned to leave. At the same time, there was an elderly man who turned in his envelope at the same time. The woman at the table asked us to stop so that she could see which one of us did not properly seal our envelope. It was his envelope...and he told me that I could certainly help him out and lick it closed. I just smiled and said, "Oh, that's okay...but I'll hand it to you." And then he ::winked:: and I wasn't sure if I should be creeped out or warmed by the grandfatherly gesture.

As I exited out of the building, I encountered the {sweetest} couple! I would guess they were in their mid-to-late 70s and looked so put together. The man was wearing a stylish three-piece suit, overcoat, green leather gloves and a dapper hat! On his arm, he escorted his wife who was dressed to the nines. She had on a skirt suit with a pair of dainty ivory gloves and her lips were painted a bright red. They looked like they were from a completely different era.

In a thick accent [one that I couldn't identify] he asked "Did you vote, my dear?" Of course, I responded politely, "Yes, sir, I did! Enjoy your day!" As I walked past them, I heard him say to his wife, "I'm telling you, darlin'. This young generation has a new sense of duty." (At this point, I turned to see him pat her arm) "I LOVE IT!" His voice held so much excitement, I practically expected him to leap in the air as he said it. Instead, he grabbed the door for three women and did a grand bow as they walked past him.

It was such a random interaction but one that kept me smiling all day. They were such a neat addition to my day!

I hope that you all remember to vote on Tuesday!!!

Picture from: bp3.blogger.com/.../s320/presfight.jpg

1 comment:

  1. We voted on Thursday too. I'm so glad we went early. There was no line. When we voted for president 4 years ago, we waited in a 2 hour line. Uggh! That was the worst.

    ReplyDelete