Anyhow, like I said, one of my goals this year is to take more pictures. I have to remember that this means ANY pictures, not just ones I'd be proud or inclined, even, to put up on my wall. It could just be pictures of life. Candid ones. Ones that make me laugh. Ones that bring a little joy to my day.
Thus, this post. I am going to give you a random sampling of my photos from the week...even though it's not over. I have a few more posts brewing, so hoping to keep this momentum going!
Thanks to our new food scale and my sudden willingness to count and record calories, I have been able to get serving sizes more in line with the food changes we are making. Steve is really good about being regimented about what he eats; whereas I give in easily and can sabotage a "diet". So, I've decided that I'll track calories, boost veggies and fruits, limit sweets (which was my main problem), increase water intake, and watch my portion sizes. This way, I don't feel neglected but I am responsible for the amount I choose to eat.
Measuring my food has really opened my eyes. I truly was unaware of the true size of portions. 2 ounces of turkey is more than I thought and plenty satisfying. A serving size of frozen dark chocolate chips is much less than I would have eyeballed in the past. However, that little bit keeps me satiated and my sweet tooth happy. I won't have them unless my calorie allowance has room for it. AND a big change from the past, I won't forgo something healthy for something I am craving. I have decided to eat the healthy option first (yogurt, dried fruit, peppers, cucumbers, carrots) and then see how I'm feeling. It's really helped and I've been craving candy/chocolate much less than I used to...even in stressful situations! Now, please do not be fooled...I still crave chocolate like a fiend...but I'm actively determining whether it's emotional cravings or hunger-induced.
Anyhow, in light of food changes and my new love for cooking, here are a few pictures of our Sunday breakfast. These pictures make me happy for several very minute reasons:
- the veggies are so colorful and bright
- it's a testament to our change in eating habits
- there's still cheese, but it's a measured portion
- it means I'm cooking
- there's onion that I chose to add in (people who know me, know this is a big deal. Have I mentioned I made and tried Salmon en Papillote in our cooking class this year? And I liked it. I have also decimated my disdain for onions, capers, feta, goat cheese, yogurt, hot sauces, and still working on mushrooms. This has been a BIG year.
Sunday night, as I worked on my first 2012 blog post, I also ventured again into a new vegetable's realm. Kale. I had made a trial batch with a few leaves on Saturday night. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but making it into chips worked wonders. I lightly tossed the washed leaves removed from the stem in olive oil, chopped garlic, kosher salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. After I baked them, I squeezed fresh lemon juice over them. OHMIGOSH, you guys! This stuff is freakin' delicious. I downed the trial batch for dinner and was satisfied. So, Sunday night, I tagged in for round two. To my surprise, Steve sampled one. AND he liked it. So, we have found a new weekend snack food. They don't keep well, so make sure you have people around to eat it up! Or eat the whole batch by yourself! Heaven knows, I could have!
Anyhow, I'm getting sleepy...and I have to work on my other goal of reading more. Hunger Games, here I come!
Aren't they awesome? (The kale chips). I never thought to squeeze lemon juice on them...I'll have to try that next time. And next year I plan to plant kale, so you will have a nearbly source to cure your cravings! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat work on the goals! Keep it up darling!!