My Mom's side:
| Papa John |
- Bright-colored pants with a white belt that he always hitched up, one side at a time.
- His hunched stature and crossed legs whenever he was sitting in a chair
- His terrific laugh
- His commitment to staying healthy mentally, physically, and spiritually
- Watching C-SPAN or CNN in my parents' living room during his annual visit
- His hard love for his children
- Handing gifts for him to pass out at our Christmas Eve get togethers
| Mama Lu |
She passed away young in May of 1984, after a battle with cancer. She was nearly done raising her nine children and just getting to know her grandkids. I can't even imagine how hard it was for my mom and her siblings to say goodbye. My short time with her still left me with strong memories:
- Her artichokes that you dipped into a bowl of melted butter at every Christmas Eve celebration
- Sitting on the floor next to her and making play-doh bowls and peas on my 3rd birthday
- After a surgery, she could no longer talk, so we would communicate using one of those boards that you write on with a plastic stylus and lift the film to erase it. I have a vivid memory of sitting on her lap and drawing things for her. I remember looking up at her and just thinking she was so pretty. And she was!
- She was a runner and won a lot of different races
- She sold Mary Kay products and would let us look through them like we were at a beauty counter
- One of her passions is painting; their walls serve as a gallery of her artwork
- Her eyes smile when she smiles
- She is a great listener
- Her laugh is contagious
My Dad's side:
| Grandpa Ted |
- His smile
- Playing in the basement with him and my brother
- Driving the mini-van with him for the first time when I was 14
- His caps in various colors, with matching plaid pants
- Taking us out to the back corner of their yard and letting us sneak onto the neighbor's bouncy reindeer
- Sitting in his office while he worked on his work and I worked on my Speak n' Spell
| Grandma Jean |
- Getting to use her whirlpool tub when I would sleep over
- Making malts after our bath
- Layering on her many necklaces to get fancified
- Her little crystal candy dishes filled with sweet treats
- Buying me aqua sunglasses for me when she watched us
- Helping her get fitted for undergarments, as an adult (had to list it, as it's something I will never forget!)
I can't wait until it is time for Steve and I to start our family. Our parents will make many happy memories with our kids as they grow up, I'm sure of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment