Wow! Another year has passed, and oh so quickly! In my old age, I need to rely on my pictures to remind me of the year's events. Sad, no? Anyhow, as I was perusing albums, I thought that I would share some happenings that made 2010 very unique. This is more for me than you, in all honesty. It will be nice to look back and see my year.
I apologize in advance if I missed anything...as I said, I'm basing it on pictures, mainly...
Also, it may seem as though I've included mention of dating here and there. This is to prove to my mother that it's not for a lack of trying... {Love ya, Mom!}
January:
*I rang in the New Year with Laura and Nina. It was a quiet, yet enjoyable way to usher in 2010!
*You know how "Twas the Night Before Christmas" mentions "not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse"? Well, in January of 2010, I was sound asleep all nestled in bed, with I'm sure visions of anything chocolate dancing in my head. When all of a sudden, I rose with quite a fright, it sounded like a rodent disco party was rocking the night! I felt like I was in a scene of a movie that would display my gruesome death as rodents teemed over me through the wall of my bedroom, which was nicely abutting our attic. Never in my life have I heard noises like this. Literally...those chocolate visions I mentioned turned to raccoons with 'roid rage, squirrels in muscle tees, and rats with piercings. It was scary. They were our houseguests for quite some time. Since I've moved out (see September), the problem has been eradicated through the use of boxes upon boxes of mothballs. It had been suggested to my mom that she use a few to ward them off. Mom's version of a few = literally boxes.
*Girl's weekend in Appleton. Good conversation, being silly, and friends I've known for years! Christy and I even found a cheese cowboy hat...could we be any luckier than that?
*Continued to see a guy I had just started to see in December. Went on a few dates with a guy who seemed very nice, but was a little creepy. His only form of communication besides us seeing one another face-to-face was through texting. If I called (which anyone who knows me, knows I'm not much of a phone person), he'd just text me back. The climate of his texts were bootycall-oriented from day 1. Thought it was a joke, but then kept going on and on. Went out a few times...give him the benefit of the doubt...and realized quickly that this guy was a 37 year old with a one-track mind, that jumped the rails every once in awhile to talk about college pranks and basketball. He was very intense and also had quite a temper. It is sad that in the course of 4 dates and conversations that I knew that.
He was one of those guys that would say he couldn't go out until 11 at night, and when he said "go out", he meant "come over". That's not really what I would call an appropriate first date...
*Shortly after, telling Mr. Sexter-pants that I was not interested in his kind of relationship, I began seeing a nice gentleman. We went bowling, went out to dinner. It was much easier to be around him. Easy to talk to, made me laugh, and all that other jazz. It was a nice start for the new year.
February:
*Turned 32. Hip...hip...replacement! (I meant hooray!) I know that this is really not that old but man, I'm in my 30s now! No turning back. So far, so good. Celebrated with family and the McLaughlin clan by watching the MU game, playing rock band, and enjoying cake. Mmmm. Celebrated with friends by going to see Valentine's Day, a rom-com that had a lot of star power, but little plot! However, with the likes of Patrick Dempsey, Bradley Cooper, Ashton Kutcher, Jamie Foxx - I'm not complaining!
*Spent time going out to dinner with my SNC gals, reading for book club, tuning into American Idol, and other fun things with friends.
*Dating continued...first Valentine's Day in years that I actually was seeing someone. It was so new that there were obviously no gifts, but we did have a great time wandering the Art Museum, taking in the Street Scene exhibit.
March:
Um, no pictures for March...apparently this wasn't an eventful month, picture-wise!
*School was busy with conferences, literacy team meetings, music concerts, and first year teacher meetings. I'm guessing pictures would have been awkward during these events.
*Did have {coffee} or in my case {hazelnut steamer} with the girls to catch up.
*Tried Aqua Zumba. Wow, that man instructing that class was really energetic. It was definitely a different kind of exercise. Thankfully, it was free. :)
*Went to movies, dinner and the likes with the beau.
April:
*The weather started to change, so this month was a great one for getting out and taking pictures. My camera and I were busy snapping shots of new buds, mossy trees, and the sunlight. I remember taking walks and just soaking in the fresh air and turning my face up to feel the warm sun. It was a welcome change from the winter.
*I had the extreme honor of being present at the birth of my best friend's second baby boy. What an incredible experience. Being in that room, in a different role than the one giving birth {she did it without drugs...wowza), was really eye-opening to what a miracle it really is. Sam is a handsome little boy with the gentlest spirit.
*My baby brother, Nick, turned 30. No way. xo
*Had a few more dates with aforementioned man, before realizing through a conversation, that our ideas were a tad different on what "single" really means. Let me ask you this, fine friends: If you are single, but you are attracted to someone who is married, it's okay to sleep with them, right? I mean, you aren't the one who's married, so what's the big deal? Hasn't everyone done that? Until there is a ring on your finger, you aren't committed to anyone. Right?
Well, see, this was one of the conversations of a few that had me a little concerned. He was amazed that I hadn't ever slept with or intentionally hit on a married man. If I was "single", then it was okay for me to wreck someone else's marriage for fun?!? And he was serious. After four months, he wanted to just keep kickin' it without any labels.
Now, mind you, if there hadn't been other areas of concern, I might have carried on but I also know what I want. After four months, if we're just chillin' and you have no idea whether or not you want this to be serious, then it might be time for me to chill elsewhere. Just putting that out there.
May:
*Again, fresh rains made for some beautiful pictures in May.
*Had an outing to the Milwaukee Zoo with friends. It's the first time in a long time and was well worth it!
*Attended our neighbor Felicia's wedding as a family. It was a great night at Discovery World.
June:
*Went to camp with my 5th graders...overnight. It was so fun and I got to try my hand at being a lumberjane.
*Said goodbye to my first real class. Wow, I handled it a lot better than I thought! They have left me with a world of memories from my first full year of teaching! It's too funny to see them in the hallways now. Some of them greet me with hugs and smiles, while others are too cool now that they are in 6th grade!
*Attended the St. Jude Reunion and saw very few classmates from the class of '92, but had a great time with the friends I went with. We did see Ms. Ferguson, Ms. Kreul, Ms. LaFond, and Mrs. Groff. Talk about a blast from the past! My favorite part of this evening was Dria's husband Chris charming the elastic-waisted pants off of some elderly ladies. We followed up the reunion with dinner at Cafe Hollander and drinks {water} at Firefly. Good times!
*Mom and I had publicity photos done for the book we were co-editing. It was kind of awkward at first, but still fun. My mom definitely knows how to lighten the mood! Thanks, Shannon, for doing such an incredible job!
*Headed down to Summerfest with a confetti group of friends (some from work, some from college) and saw Colbie Caillat. We had a very interesting bus ride home that involved a drunk 56 year old (she showed us her license) taking my friend's sandal right off of her foot and trying it on. She also talked a lot about her bedazzled Harley tank. It was kind of entertaining. Her friends didn't think it was odd that she was trying people's shoes on...to each their own!
*Went on a few dates with a nice man I met at Sam's (Stef's son) baptism. Unfortunately, the chemistry just wasn't there. Even if it had been, he moved away shortly after we went out. See, another attempt at finding Mr. Right!
July:
*Trip to Chicago with the gals. We had a great time hunting for cupcakes, dining on tapas, going through the Robie House (Mr. Frank Lloyd Wright sounded like a surly man...he was creative though, I'll give him that!), walking around Millenium Park, almost witnessing Trey Songz at Taste of Chicago. Hellz yeah. In general, it was a great way to kick back and enjoy one another's company.
*My other baby brother, Joey, turned 26. How is this possible?
*Headed to Summerfest to see one of my friends sing. Very cool! She did a great job!
*Mom and I went to get pedicures - my second one ever! What a fun mother-daughter thing to do.
*Annual 4th of July party at the Angel's. It was a little more low-key this year, but that's fine by me. There were fireworks, of course! I also made a quick stop to one of my student's houses to say goodbye. Her mom invited me since they were moving out of state. How do you say no? So, I went and actually had a really nice time meeting people.
*Did a lot of walking and was starting to make changes in the exercise routine. Met with a friend of Stef's who trains and learned just how out of shape I truly am! Eek.
*Bonness LoveFest commenced. My mom's family members came in from all over the country. It was so great to have everyone gathered together. There were some cousins I hadn't seen in years. Everybody is doing great! Love, love, love.
*Again, flowers were in full bloom, so my camera was always near.
*We had another round of torrential downpours this year. Thankfully, it didn't flood the basement like the year before.
*Did a whole bunch of babysitting for different families! Love it. It's fun to watch these kiddos take in all that summer has to offer.
* Spent a lot of time with friends walking, hanging out in the pool, and just relaxing. Ah....
*We had family photos taken by Shannon. It's the first time since 1990. They turned out pretty nice, in my opinion!
August:
*Headed out to Witches' Night Out with Jax. The cast of Wicked did a talent show of sorts on their dark night. It was amazing. The best part was that we were able to head to a restaurant party with them afterwards for drinks and apps. Funny enough, we ran into my friend Jim and asked him to join us for the evening. A good time was had by all! Thank you, again Jax for inviting me.
*I headed north to MN to see a crew! I started with my sister. We walked around the city, explored a ginormous Target, picked up some fancy cupcakes, ate delicious pizza, and did sisterly things. We met up with Jess and Andrea to catch up on life and reminisce about Pier One. I got to see Jess and her son, Elliott for a night of long conversation. We have a lot to catch up on when you only see each other once a year! My visit was rounded out with a visit to see my daughter and her parents. She is ten and loved planning our events! We all watched a movie, went to the museum, enjoyed a bit of canoeing, and swam. The weather turned beastly the last night I was there! Rain, rain, go away! Thankfully, it cleared just in time for me to hit the road.
*Grandma turned 90.
*Dined with friends, swam, cuddled newborn babies, played with my godkids, started hunting for a new place to live, and enjoyed the last few days of summer
*Year 2 in 5th grade started. I was excited to find that one of my oldest friends was joining our 5th grade team. So fun.
September:
*My baby sis, Stevi, turned 25. Yes, seriously. How old does that make me?!?
*Mom's book about Janis Joplin hit the shelves and sold out at her book signing. Damn. That's how it's done! A lot of friends showed up to show their support. A big thank you to you guys! I tried my chops at karaoke. Tried being the operative word. It was the first time I'd ever done karaoke in public...so, cross that off the bucket list!
*The book my mom and I co-edited and contributed to is published! It was a lot of hard work, but well worth it. It's been well-received in the adoption community. Thank you to everyone who has passed it on to those who might benefit from it. It was a very cathartic, yet scary process, to experience. The whole point of the book was to erase the notion that birthmothers don't care or are from one demographic. I was very nervous to put it out in the public for fear of judgment or shame. However, if it means that I take a metaphorical bullet or two, so others can walk a little less burdened, then my point has been made with this book. Thankfully, no bullets (metaphoric or real) have been shot, so that's good...
*Mom won an award at Mount Mary for being an Outstanding Teacher! Way to go, Mom! The entire family (except MN Stevi) and her childhood friend hid in the school's kitchen while she gave her speech and then surprised her. It was a great night!
*Headed to the SafeHouse with our school staff...good times, gumshoes!
*Took a PDP course at Cardinal Stritch. Wasn't quite what the description said. Yep. Still working on that. Good thing I spent $100 on the course!
*Glee'd with friends, changed my mind on an apartment, met with the SNC ladies at Umami Moto downtown. Delicious.
*BOUGHT a condo instead of renting an apartment. I closed on it Sept. 30th. Phew. Big steps. My anxiety on money skyrocketed a little bit since it had been years since I was paying a substantial amount of rent.
October:
*Painted, steam-cleaned, wiped down every surface possible, moved, moved, moved furniture, totes, boxes.
*Unpacked almost all the boxes within a week or less. I wanted it done! Thanks to EVERYONE who helped!
-Anita and Mom: Cleaning out kitchen cupboards, putting down contact paper, and organizing them.
-Nick and Joe: Thanks for being great brothers and helping me load the pick-up with all of my heavy furniture and then hauling it up stairs and stairs into my condo. You guys rock. Who knew Jimmy John's could buy so much help!
-Laura for being my first painting buddy! That room was the hardest to paint of them all!
-Stef: Steam-cleaning the bejesus out of these carpets, helping me paint, keeping me sane by playing with Halloween decorations during our 3rd trip to Menard's, shopping, etc.
-Tara: Changing out light fixtures (we really need to think of this as a side job...) and painting
-And a million other people for just being supportive and calming my fears that I can handle owning a home!
*Book Talk panel at Mount Mary. I was sandwiched between two amazing writers. This is the first time I have ever publicly spoken as a birth mother. The room had maybe 30 people in it, but still, that's a lot! I teach 26 10-year olds every day...but adults are another story! I was nervous, but relied on my quirky, sarcastic sense of humor to save any awkward moments. I read from my essay and felt the heat rise up into my cheeks. It was definitely revealing but felt right. I was glad to have my mom there supporting me through the entire thing.
*Headed to So You Think You Can Dance with some gals and quite enjoyed it! We had a great dinner at BelAir Cantina. Delicioso!
*Trick or Treat at the zoo with friends and their kiddos. So fun!
*Hosted Halloween dinner at my house. It was the first time I had entertained in the condo. The entire fam (except lil Stevi) joined us. I made a spicy dish that was perfect for the fall weather! It was really fun to be the host! Thankfully, my dad knew I wouldn't have the right drink options for my brothers, so came bearing a cooler with beer and regular soda.
November:
*Headed back to BelAir Cantina with ladies from work. Man, that place is good!
*Joined the SNC gals for a little dinner at Mimma's on Brady. A bit pricey, but well worth it.
*Decorated my condo for the holidays. I found all sorts of things in those boxes. Good thing the garbage can hold a lot!
*Headed to Vegas, baby! Wow. That is some place. We ate at several top of the line restaurants, saw a Cirque de Soleil show, shopped, people-watched, ate, shopped, ate, walked, picked up some fashion tips, and tried our hand at blackjack. Didn't win a cent! I also had a small altercation with the feisty old man who was telling me to get on my connecting flight and stop complaining, as I left two people in our party waiting for another flight. I had a few choice words, albeit inappropriate, but I think he knew he was in the wrong ultimately, because he backed down. I heard I gave quite a show! Eek. Note: I do not advise or endorse this type of behavior...but that guy was really rude and kept pushing my boundaries.
*Got a new washer/dryer for $40. Thank you, home warranty!
*Was a guest on WPR radio show about the book. I wasn't aware of the fact that the host was going to be so focused on my role as a birth mother, but she was. So, now it's out. I'm learning to not care what people think about it. I know it was the best choice for my daughter. At 22, I certainly could have raised her, but it wouldn't have been fair to her. Besides, she's pretty amazing.
*Was a guest on a vlog about adoption that same night. It was nice to know that people are trying to give birth mothers more credit than they've received in the past.
*Brunch with the Juder gals! We tried Blue's Egg Cafe, where the old Heinemann's on 76th used to be. The wait was about 30 minutes, but well worth it. Wow...that was some good food!
*Celebrated Thanksgiving with the entire family. It was really laid-back and calm. Very nice.
*Mom and Dad both celebrated birthdays this month! They aren't 60 yet!
*Saw movies, lunched with friends, enjoyed a little down time, and so on...
December:
*Hosted cookie making for the first time. I think it was rather successful. At one point, every bedroom (including the office) had a kiddo in it trying to nap. Yum, yum!
*Hosted pizza and Glee with the Swanson gals.
*Headed to Alioto's for the Angel Machinery Christmas Party. Family time plus a few more. It was definitely fun. My brother's gf and I had a great time chatting!
*Sick, sick, and more sick. If it wasn't a hoarse voice or sinus issues, it was the flu. Good riddance. Hoping my immune system is strengthening up for 2011.
*Holiday parties, one that even included Rock Band. Awesome!
*Headed to Lake Geneva to see a show and enjoy the company of three fabulous men! Love ya, gents! I had the most phenomenal brunch at Simple Cafe in Lake Geneva. The inside is decorated in bright colors with funky accents. You should definitely check it out!
*Spending lots of time with my sister while she's home, friends, and family.
*Christmas = lovely. A little Wii Just Dance, some Titanic (oh, Leo!), and a brand new knife set (thanks, Mom!)
*Sick again...
*Mom and Dad celebrated 38 years of marriage. Wow.
*And finally NYE 2010! I made some homemade chili and a salad. My sister brought party hats, paper blowers, and Welch's sparkling grape juice (we are classy!). My parents joined us for dinner and a movie and then headed out. We worked on a jigsaw puzzle, watched a movie and then rang in the new year with crazy pictures of us and Emerson (my very unhappy cat).
Quite a year! Hang tight...if you can bear it...I may have another post a-comin'! I know, two in the matter of a week. I've had two all year!
Peace out 2010...hello, 2011.
Where is the LOVE button. :). Glad we could some adventures together this year. Looking forward to more in 2011.
ReplyDelete*share some adventures...
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful, full and productive year!!! XXOO
ReplyDelete