What's Goin' On? Check out below

5.18.2008

*Sigh* What a Weekend!

May 17, 2008
I can breathe just a little easier! One more step closer to being finished with my certification. Although I have my diploma in hand after this weekend's festivities, I am not quite done. I have a portfolio to complete and submit; as well as just under a month of teaching. This weekend was quite a full one with all of the graduation hoopla!

It started Thursday night with rehearsal for both Graduation and Step Singing, a Mount Mary tradition. It was a night full of working through logistics and name pronunciations. I did make a new friend through the Step Singing rehearsal over a Taylor Hicks song that no one knew and therefore butchered. Interesting stuff.

Usher in Friday. This day was jam-packed, both at school and afterward. I finished my day of teaching and skedaddled over to MMC for an English Department reception. I had an English minor with my certification. This was such a neat experience, especially because my Mom works in the department and was tickled pink that I was graduating. At this reception, each major/minor received a book they had requested signed by the faculty. I received a gorgeous Merriam-Webster Dictionary. I know I am a dork...no need to comment on it. I will say in my defense that I was in desperate need of a good dictionary! In addition to receiving books, the faculty read various works they felt appropriate for sending us into the 'real world'.
My mom and I with some of the English Department faculty.

After the reception, my parents and I attended the Baccalaureate Mass that was officiated by Archbishop Dolan. He shared a beautiful homily. After the mass, I booked it to Step Singing. This is quite the tradition at MMC. It's been in place since 1929. The Seniors sing a collection of songs, awards are given and then the graduates pass a lantern onto someone that has helped them in their educational success. I passed my "Light of Learning" to my parents. However, so many people have helped me reach this goal! Thank you to friends who have been supportive listeners, encouraging counselors and an escape from stress!

The Seniors started with the school song to begin the ceremony. We then sang In My Life by the Beatles, which I love. Our repertoire also consisted of Wind Beneath my Wings and a song by Taylor Hicks, Do I Make You Proud? The last song was dreadful and all of the friends and family members in attendance should have been awarded a medal for sitting through it instead of running to the nearest dugout.

With Mom and Dad at Step Singing

Saturday finally arrived! The day could not have been more beautiful! The sun was warming the world and the sky was a stunning blue. There was a breeze that made the leaved branches sing. It was the quintessential Spring day. The graduates processed out of the main hall while bells tolled. It was quite a sight! The Archbishop was our Commencement speaker and did an amazing job. In fact, I hope to get a copy of his Commencement address for my classroom someday. He spoke about the most recent epidemic that is sweeping the nation and how we are the antidote. This epidemic is the sense of entitlement that has sneakily replaced gratitude in our nation's youth. It is so true!!! His speech provided many suggestions to keep this from spreading like wildfire.

The day's meaning was magnified due to the fact that my mom and I were both part of the ceremony. She is a professor, so also walked in the procession!

To celebrate, the family had an early dinner at Maggiano's. We all enjoyed the food, drink and company.

Apparently, it was quite the place to be! Stef ran into a family friend who was a part of a bachelorette party as she was walking back to the table. A few seconds later, my Mom's friend Anita, who she has known since she was 3, was sitting down with her family. They were out celebrating Anita's graduation! What a coincidence. As we left, I noticed my friend Kristin who is the wife of my first cooperating teacher, Jeff. They were out to dinner (I believe to celebrate Jeff's most recent birthday ~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY!) and happened to choose Maggiano's as the place to celebrate. It was so great to run into everyone celebrating so many different occasions!


The day finally ended with me nestling into my bed around 9:30, watching a little "Sex & the City" and falling asleep before Saturday Night Live! What a wonderful way to wrap up such an eventful few days!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for including me as part of the 'fam'. I'm tickled pink...hehe

    Also, didn't we sing In My Life for our DS graduation also? Must be an all girls school thing...

    Congrats to the best new teacher I know. You are awesome.

    And, I might have to borrow that dictionary sometime...for my reading pleasure...dorks unite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Amanda! Sounds like a packed weekend. Yes, we did sing "In My Life" as our senior song at DS, Stef.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations - you look so studious in your first graduation picture! You're so smart...

    ReplyDelete