What's Goin' On? Check out below

2.07.2008

A Remedy to Aging

Aging is a complicated process. So many things change: perspective, opinions, connections and language. However, I am lucky to have a sister-in-law Nicole that understands how important it is to keep up with the times. She recognizes that slang is present in our language, whether we approve or not. So, in order to stay at the acme of cool, one needs to talk the talk.

For my birthday, I received this wonderfully helpful gift (shown to the right) from Nicole and my brother Nick. These magnificent flashcards came in a deck of 60. As you can see it has the slang term on the front and on the back gives a definition and an example of how to use this word appropriately in daily life. For example, the card that reveals the picture is for the term "crunk". According to the card, the principal definition of this word is "providing entertainment, amusement, excitement, or enjoyment". Other definitions include: "crazy, insane" or "intoxicated".

My favorite part are the real-life uses the cards suggest for each word. In the example above for "crunk", the picture is of two middle-aged women, one of whom uses the word in the following way: "I can assure you that the Tupperware party will be mad crunk". How perfect! Can you imagine this conversation taking place? Not really, but I would be highly entertained if it did!

These cards are hilarious and a fun gift for anyone turning the big 3-0...

A little side story: I tested a few of these terms with my 9th graders. Of course, being the performer I am, I tried my best to say these in the most awkward and uptight manner possible. The students were filled with utter embarrassment for me which I of course reveled in. They just shook their heads, nervously smiled and basically said: "Ms. Angel, please stop!" However, they did confirm that some of the terms are definitely used among their age group. They did request that I never use those terms again...but I informed them I couldn't promise such a thing. Regardless, they found it humorous which was the whole point!
At the bottom of the box it says:
"Are you over thirty? Nerdy, uncool, or simply suburban? Get hip in mere days!"

I can certainly vouch for the instantaneous level of cool I achieved by studying these cards on a nightly basis! They really work.
Run, don't walk to join the cool club!
Click here for more information.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I never really used slang in my youth, at least that I can recall. So really, my level of acceptance among "the kids" is a lot higher, since I'm talking the way I'm supposed to talk, now.

    ReplyDelete